Tuesday 3 January 2012

Retin-A.

My life practically revolves around this little wonder. Every part of my skin-care regimen circulates on whether I'm using it or not; what facial washes I use, what creams I buy, whether I use foundation or go au naturel...

It was prescribed to me two years ago because I had/have acne. Apparently, you're only meant to be on it for several months. However, I want to be on it forever.
It really does help my skin, and every time I come off it to see if my skin improves of it's own accord, my spots come back worse than ever and it really gets me down. Sad face.

It is a retinoid (a vitamin A derivative...I think), and basically what it does (in normal-speak) is that it exfoliates the skin from the inside out, thus shedding and flaking off the upper-most layer of the skin at a rapid rate. This means that when you are using the medication you look disgusting and you need to take serious care of your skin (no exfoliating, and no harsh skin treatments) because it is so sensitive.

Exposure to UV light (including sunlight!) should be avoided when using this medication. This means that I am a deathly shade of white and in the summer months do my absolute utmost to stay out of the sun. I have tried almost every sun cream known to man and my large sunhat was an absolute essential last summer during holidays and trips to the beach (cue my boyfriend calling me a 'vampire', alas, ignorance).





It is topical medication, meaning you put it directly on your skin. It is a clear gel that has a slight yellow-ish tinge, and you apply it in a thin layer and it dries on your skin.
You can't use any products over the top of it or beneath it, your skin needs to be clean in order for Retin-A to be any use. For this reason I use it overnight, and wash it off in the morning.

As I've said before, you do have to be careful how you treat your skin during the period you are applying it. Most of the skincare products I have used have stung my skin like mad (imagine me running around the room fanning face), and only a few products have soothed my skin. Aquaphor is a really good cream that hydrates and soothes sore cracked skin, and I always use it when using Retin-A. Definitely my 'go-to' product of late. When using Retin-A, I use facial washes that are designed for sensitive skin, and you certainly don't want facial washes advertising some form of chemical exfoliation or physical exfoliation like grains or beads, you will regret it.

I think without this medication I would have a nervous breakdown. This really helps keep my skin in check, and even though my acne is slowly coming back (damn the doctor taking me off my oral medication, DAMN HIM) I think this medication is keeping the worst at bay.
Because it peels away the top layer of skin every time you use it, I found that it has really helped with my scars and red marks that acne has left me with. I'm nowhere near 'perfect skin' (although I will be one day), but I can cope with that.
I know I'd be in a worse place without my little tube of Retin-A.

(Consult a doctor before using this, it is a medication and can have prominent and quite dangerous side-effects.)

No comments:

Post a Comment