Thursday 23 February 2012

Boots' 'Smith's Cremolia'.



Lets start off by saying I have never heard of this product before. I only noticed it when I popped into Boots to buy some much-needed Aquaphor since my skin has been playing up a lot recently. There was only one tube, and it was in the wrong place (on top of some other products) and I tried to find some more on the shelves, and then my eye came across a little interesting tub of what looked like Vaseline.
As you can see from the front of the tub, it states that it "softens and conditions hands and skin", and with a claim like that I could not refuse to buy it. To be honest, I bought it because I was just so fascinated by a little tub of cream with the oddest name, and priced at £1.29 for 110ml, it would be stupid not to buy it and try it out!

So I bought it alongside some other bits and bobs, and as soon as I got home I cleansed my skin with my Clarisonic and my Korres soaps (I had felt icky all day and was dying to wash my face all day, just in case you're wondering).
The texture of the cream is the weirdest thing ever. It's not a creamy consistency at all. I am actually really sruggling to find words to describe it with. It's like a gel, but remember those little pots of PVA glue you used to get in little school, which was really runny? It's like that, but not as sticky. I guess what I'm trying to say it's quite runny as opposed to a creamy texture which is quite thick.
My skin was in a pretty horrid state (red raw areas of skin, rashes and big sore spots, yum yum!) and I was wondering if it would sting. It didn't, but it did tingle a little bit, but I did expect some sort of reaction because my skin was disgusting. If you have sensitive skin I think it would be fine to use. I don't think there's anything in the product that would irritate your skin.
It is incredibly soothing and cooling upon application, but I suppose that's because it seems to be more of a gel than a cream.
When I applied the product to my skin overnight, I woke up with hydrated skin, although it felt a bit sticky. It has defied the pillow-face activity too, which is an impressive accolade!
It doesn't leave skin looking at all greasy, and as mentioned before, although it feels a tiny bit sticky to the touch, you can't tell you have any sort of cream on your face.

Overall, it's something I will always have on my dresser. It seems like a good staple to add to my skincare routine, and at £1.29 you're not exactly going to go bust buying it (unless you buy a hell of a lot)!

25 comments:

  1. I remember this from years ago! All the old ladies used to use it. Now, I'm in my 50's and my skin is dry and itchy (and all the oils I've tried like jojoba, argan, coconut, rosehip give me milia) I think I'll try this. Can't believe they still sell it - my grandmother used to use it for cracked heels.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boots are discontinuing this product .reason unknown.it's a shame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boots are discontinuing this product .reason unknown.it's a shame

    ReplyDelete
  4. why are they discontinuing this brilliant handcream ive been using this for over 50 years and my mother before me

    ReplyDelete
  5. we cannot find this product now. Very effective for builders dry hands, dries quickly and moisturises chapped skin. Fantastic product they have to bring it back to the shelves. Who decided it had to go ? I strongly would like to speak to responsible moron, there must be some jars of the product being stored somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  6. If all of you complain to Boots via their website there is a chance they might change their mind, they did a few years ago regarding a colour of lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know how we could go about doing a petition about Smith's Cremolia to present to Boots to see if they would change their mind about discontinuing it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and son have used Cremolia as it is great for dry hands without having a feminine smell. Boots explanation for discontinuing it is that there is no demand which is clearly not true. I have tried everywhere to get it and every Boots branch says they can't get it despite the high demand. I think Boots are trying to get everyone to buy more expensive hand cream - their suggestion for a substitute costs £5.49!!! I would love to get a petition going or sign one if there is already one set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll only be to glad to sign it.

      Delete
  9. I also have used this for years and really miss it. Boots told me it was being reformulated and would be back in April but it's now May and no sign of it. Formula was great anyway so why mess it up? Anyone any idea how to petition??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been using Cremolia cream for over 40 years and recently have visited several Boots branches but they do not seem to know the product. I'd usually buy 3 jars at a time because it was often out of stock so must have been very popular. On reading the previous comments I must assume they have discontinued it. Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with all the above - this cream worked. Additionally it is a great exfoliator. Would really like to have it reinstated as a Boots product.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRING BACK SMITHS CREMOLA!!!!
    My mum used it, I been using it for nearly 40 years, my daughter has been using it for over 10 years. It really works.
    I think we all need to bombard Boots with emails to bring it back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We want it back too as mum has used if all her life and swears by it x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am nearly seventy and my grandmother always used it on her face before going to bed....she had lovely skin into her eighties.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the big beauty companies have bought it,rename and repackage it for a small fortune, it was so popular.They don't like having a cheap competitor selling well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tried contacting Boots over this again and again. They are not replying. I have used it for over 50 years too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have used this product too since I was young. I don't believe it has been discontinued because of lack of demand but rather because they weren't making enough profit from selling it because it was so cheap and lasted so long. They will make more profit from the more expensive products which have added perfume etc and God knows what to them. Sickening to remove from the shelves something that worked. I think we should all complain to Boots itself and bombard them with emails etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I to have used this product for 25 years plus was introduced to it by my ninty year old friend, she is upset now that she can't replace it. Does anyone know if the product is made by the other name on the container Smith's???? Does anybody know if there is a different name other than Boots?? Reply

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been searching ever since they discontinued it. No luck so far. Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good afternoon,I would also like to find out why they have stopped making cremola . I have used it for years and it was the only cream that kept my hands conditioned and soft . I wish boots would put it back onto the shelves so customerscould by this wonderful cremola product.again .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bring back Cremola ! Re-package it and maybe re-brand, but keep the product and formula the same - it was a great skin cream. I used it for over 40 years. Boots have missed a trick here......

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’ve recently tried M and S Pure Super Hydrate Face Serum and the smell of it took me straight back to the 1950s when my mum used Cremolia hand cream regularly. I’m now 76. I googled it and was amazed to come across it here! Maybe this is the new product that everyone is looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi my mum used it all her life in the 50s to 70s, and as I get older, was looking for it

    ReplyDelete