Monday 28 May 2012

Kiehls 'UV Protect' SPF 50.

One thing you should know about me is that I'm completely batty about SPF. It's the one skincare thing I am massively enthusiastic about, and I will talk to you for hours about sun-cream and why I love high SPFs and why it's good for your skin and why you should wear one everyday and don't you know the sun is dangerous, blah blah blah.
I won't get on my soapbox regarding sun-damage (I'll let these guys do it for me) but I know that sun-protection is a vital part of my skincare routine every day, and it should be part of yours. And if it isn't, then why the hell not?! Especially now the sun is finally showing it's face and it's the time of year for not wearing very much.

Now, I got this back in February, so this post has been a long time a'comin! Before, I had had my eye on the Kiehls 'Ultra Light Daily Moisturiser' SPF 50 for ages, and was just waiting for the email announcing 'free shipping' before I could buy it online.
However, I was in Cardiff for the 14th and 15th of this month for Craig's interview at Cardiff University (fingers crossed he gets in), and whilst wandering around the city I found myself in John Lewis', and spotted a Kiehls counter. Just imagine my glee!
So after a wee bit of browsing the counter I found the cream I had my eye on, and I also found another suncream, which was the Kiehls 'UV Protect' SPF 50. The 60ml tube of the 'Ultra Light Daily Moisturiser' cost £30 (I'm not sure why it says £31 on the Kiehls' website, because the girl confidently told me it was £30), and a 160ml tube of the 'UV Protect' cost £19.

Now, as far as I'm aware, the only difference is the fact that the latter is marketed as a sun cream rather than a regular facial cream, whereas the former is marketed more as a daily face moisturiser rather than as a suncream.
The woman behind the counter did say that the 'UV Protect' is a little heavier on the skin, and may not be suitable for oilier skins. However, since I haven't got a money tree growing in my back garden, I opted for the 'UV Protect', thinking it would be fine.



I am really disappointed to be honest. I won't blame the product at all because it's not marketed as a face cream you can use day to day, and this is how I used it. It is marketed as a suncream to wear when you're in the sun in Jamiaca. Not England for pottering around town.

It is a heavy suncream, and when applied in the morning, by midday I was looking shiny and greasy and felt very sticky. Not a good look on anyone. It also leaves a sort of white cast over the skin, which made me look a little paler than I naturally am. Again, it would be fine if I was in Jamaica (if I say it enough it will happen!) and was lying around in the sun all day, but it wasn't really appropriate for wearing on my face as of February!
It did cost more than I would normally spend on a suncream, and I didn't really notice anything different. It wasn't spectacularly different from brands like Soltan, La Roche Posay, Ultrasun etc. However, I did like the fact it was more of a moisturising sunscreen, and with my sometimes peeling skin, I felt this would be a benefit. However, if anything it just made the suncream a lot heavier, which outweighed the positive of it being moisturising!

Overall, I am not a fan of this. It is too heavy and sticky upon the skin to be used daily on the face. Again, on holiday it would be great, but not for the rare sunshine that England experiences.

The search for the best suncream ever continues...

1 comment:

  1. When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me
    when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
    on whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment.

    Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me
    from that service? Kudos!

    Here is my webpage ... http://stagesofbeautyblogs.com

    ReplyDelete