Friday 13 April 2012

HibiScrub.

I had finished my Korres facial soaps a few weeks ago, and was a little bit stuck with what facial wash/cleanser to go for next. I didn't particularly want to go for something too high-end and expensive, since I double-cleanse every night and every morning because of my acne, and therefore go through facial washes/cleansers like nobody's business. I didn't want to get something I'd had before, because I wanted to try something different. Forever on the search for the HG of facial cleansers, y'know!

Then my sister, who is under a consultant dermatologist for her acne (another similarity between us!), was recommended something called HibiScrub to cleanse her skin in place of her normal facial wash. Then someone my mum works with said that she had used it and it was amazing at getting her skin squeaky clean, and really helped to clear up her acne.
Basically, it is a surgical wash that surgeons prepare the skin with before the operate on it. Because it is a surgical product which needs to be used for an aseptic activity, by nature it has to kill every little bacteria/germ on the surface of the skin, and this is why it got recommended to my sister for her acne. I think, especially if you have acne like I do, it's important to find a product that cleans the skin well. Although we all know that having acne doesn't mean you don't wash, the lack of a decent cleanser and regime will exacerbate the current problem, so this is why when my mum and sister mentioned it to me I had to go out the following day and buy it.

Because it is quite a strong solution, you have to dilute it down before you use it as a facial wash. As you can see from the photos, I decanted half into an old tube of cream (I made sure the bottle and pump were clean beforehand of course!), and filled the rest with water.

It is recommended if you have quite sensitive skin or you find it dries your skin out after using it, use it every other night or every two nights.
But since my skin produces oil like mice produce baby mice and my skin is as resilient as a soldier right now, I use it every morning and every night. I don't find it dries my skin out, even when using my Retin-A and my skin peels off, there is no irritation whatsoever. Although when I've maybe scratched and the skin has broken through completely, it does definitely sting. So if you were thinking of using it on broken skin or suffer with a condition which means your skin is weepy and really sore, I wouldn't use it, or consider diluting it right down and using it once every two days.
I also would say try not to get it in your eyes, because it will sting like crazy. Plus, it doesn't taste too nice either. Complete blegh.

It was about £9 (I can't remember how much exactly, sorry!) from the our local chemist, but all chemists/pharmacies seem to stock the product, so it's a product you can get hold of quite easily, in normal circumstances. There seems to be a little bit of manufacturing difficulty at the moment, so you will struggle to find a bottle of HibiScrub at this present time. But hopefully the manufacturers sort out whatever the problem is and make sure all the chemists/pharmacies are stocked up with it!

The most important bit: it does the job of completely ridding my face of all the impurities accumulated throughout my commute, my hospital duties, and the commute home, and leaves my skin feeling and looking amazingly clean. My skin was literally glowing with cleanliness, which was lovely!
This stuff actually works, and my skin has cleared up no end. Although I still have the odd spot, I can definitely tell a definate difference.

I know it's not organic, and it's not made from natural ingredients, and it's not by some really fancy French company and it's name is a bit boring, but it works. And because of that, I am going to use it forever and ever.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I just got my hibiscrub in the post so I'm praying it works well for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say that I use this on my German Shepherds tummy, like a lot of dogs of this breed he is grain intolerant, but occasionally someone slips him a bad 'treat' and he gets a skin flare up on is belly and 'boy bits' I dilute it 1:20 for him and wipe him over with a cotton wool pad, he clears up in a few days. I got a few nasty midge bites while camping, and the only antiseptic I had with me was his Hibiscrub, so I used that on them and the relief was instant, AND the midges avoided me afterwards... I would never be without it now, both for my dog and me!

    ReplyDelete