Friday 13 April 2012

Ultrasun "Ultra Sensitive 50+".



The search of the perfect suncream has led me high and low. I dread to actually calculate the amount of money I have spent trying all sorts of sunprotection: from the expensive to the cheap, I feel I have tried most suncreams.

I can't remember where I first heard of the brand Ultrasun, but I remember seeing it on a website, and contemplating buying it for weeks and then finally caving in and buying it, and I'm truly glad I did!

If you want to know the full blab about why I need to wear a suncream: you can click here and read the essay, but in short: my medication makes my skin fall off, and the new skin underneath that gets exposed is really sensitive to light and gets easily damaged, hence why I need to wear suncream. Also, I think it's a little bit psychological, I have convinved myself the sun is 'bad', and Summer really freaks me out (yes I know I have issues). This may explain why most of the time I am 'glowing' or look more shiny than the other 99.9% of the population.

I have to say, "Ultra Sensitive 50+" has been one of the best suncreams I have ever used. And believe me, I have used A LOT.
Obviously, the first thing I like about it is that it offers me amaxing protection ("UVA 99% and UVB SPF50+" to be exact). It protects against UVA and UVB rays, which is nice, because so many skincare products either don't have SPF, or just protect from UVA or UVB rays, and not both. It's reassuring that both types of nasty sun rays won't be able to get through!

What I also like about it is that it's single use, which means one application in the morning and I'm done and protected for the day. It also saves me looking like a fool, and after 4 hours of whatever having to rush to the toilet to re-apply suncream. And plus, I don't really want to go into details of my peeling skin when people ask me why I'm applying suncream when it's not Summer.

Another thing I like is the pump. Just look at it. Such an ingenious bit of technology. It is such a neat, simple, non-messy way from bottle to hand. It is also hygienic, after that little plate closes, no germs/bugs/fluff can get into the bottle.

With some suncreams, all they do is create a barrier on top of the skin, without providing any moisturising benefit and sometimes leaving my skin quite dry. However, this suncream moisturises my skin as well as protects, and leaves my skin feeling quite soft afterwards!

I also like the fact that the Ultrasun make sure that their products "are free from oils, emulsifiers and perfume reducing the risk of allergy and making them especially suitable for children and sensitive skins".My skin can be sensitive at times when I'm using my medication, so it's nice to know that even when my skin is at it's worst, it won't sting. Having red skin that needs to be protected from the sun, but finding suncream stings like hell is the worst experience ever. Also, having acne, I like the fact that this product doesn't have any oils or emulsifiers in it, which may irritate or cause my skin to clog up.
This suncream contains Provitamin B5 and Vitamin E, which have been known for their moisturising properties. There is also a free radical scavenger in the mix (the company call it 'SOD'), which is great. If you haven't heard of free radicals, Google them because I could write an essay on the bloody things which won't be interesting at all. But all you need to know is that something that neutralises free radicals is something great to have in a cream.

100ml of the product costs me £19.95, which I think is great value. Of course, you can buy cheaper suncreams, but this product feels better quality than the suncreams you can buy from drugstores or pharmacies. Plus, 100ml is a practical size, and will keep you going for a long time without having to repurchase every month because you've run out!

This product is the best once-application suncream I would say I have ever used. I know I can look a little shiny/greasy, but no matter what suncream I use I think I will always find that. I mean, the flash in the photos above won't really help (I'm sure anyone would look shiny in front of a flash!), but it doesn't look as greasy as other ones I've tried.

In terms of how it fits into my routine and how I use it: in the morning, I apply a really thick layer onto clean skin, and then go and get dressed/have breakfast/bide my time, and then after fifteen-twenty minutes of letting it soak into my skin as much as it wants to, I take a tissue and just blot my skin to remove the excess.

Overall, I really like this suncream and it's really got on with my skin.
I will definitely repurchase because it works, it offers amazing protection, the price is fantastic, it lasts for ages, it moisturises as well as protects, it doesn't sting, it doesn't contain any nasties, and I know it doesn't make me as shiny as other suncreams. Well done Ultrasun, I'm sticking with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment